The concept of mourning encompasses all the emotions of sadness and grief we experience when losing a loved one and the loss of a relationship, a divorce, or our health. The grief is a normal and healthy response to loss. Anyone experiencing grief in their own way. But how each person reacts to loss as well as the time it takes to grieve depends on many factors, including whether it was sudden or expected, our relationship with humans, our personal experiences, if there is support, religious and philosophical concepts that embrace for life and death.
Symptoms of mourning
A jumble of emotions accompanies the period of mourning from denial to healing. At first experiencing numbness and refuse to believe what has happened. Here strong feelings of anger, rage and guilt “If I had done”. When we begin to understand that, nothing happens then experiencing symptoms of depression, an intense feeling emptiness and loneliness. Along with these feelings, also physical symptoms, such as difficulty sleeping and appetite, low energy, headaches, pains in the chest and stomach. The acceptance and healing is the last stage of the process of mourning. In this phase we begin to accept the facts, we balance our emotions and our thoughts and we are able to move on with our lives.
Apart from our own feelings that we have to face, there are other issues that need our immediate attention, such as returning to work and all procedural following a loss, especially if we lost him / her our partner. Also, if there are children, you should explain to them and help them in the process of mourning them, which intensifies our emotional exhaustion.
How to take care of myself during the period of mourning?
It may seem easier to bury pain and sorrow than to deal with, but research suggests that this may have an effect on our physical and mental health. So it is important to experience the mourning us.
- Talk about your feelings, concerns and fears with family and friends, seek help even a specialist.
- Write about your loss (your feelings, your thoughts, what happened).
- Find other expressions such as creating courses clay, painting, and music will help you express your feelings and feel good about your creation.
- Take care of yourself, try to eat and sleep well.
- Exercise regularly.
- Follow the methods of relaxation (yoga, meditation).
- Do things that amuse you and your entertainment (theater, cinema, music, dinner with friends) without guilt that betray the man who lost.
- Allow you to feel joy again and make plans for the future.